Just remembered the funniest thing!
So I must be in a "blogging" mood today. (That or I know I won't have internet access again until Monday and am trying to "make-up" for it in advance!)I was in the car with my mother this afternoon. She was asking for a pacifier for the baby. Well, I only own two as it is because I simply don't usually give one to G. So I told my mother that I had no idea where one was. Her reply to this was, "Well you're smart, aren't you?" I immediately retorted "At least I'm pretty."
Ok, I am not vain. (Not that I am not pretty. I just am not in the habbit of complimenting myself...) But it's a joke between my mother and myself. Back a few years ago, she really upset me with one of those back-wards compliments. Something that is "nice" to say but in all honesty* turns out to be an insult. But, hey, it was funny:
Wavey lines, fade into Mom's kitchen, Thanksgiving Day 2003Now if you are a guy you might not get that. But basically she was saying that I didn't know a kitchen from a toilet and that the only way I would get anywhere, or a man (regardless of the fact that I was already married with one child), was based on looks alone. The haha part is that one, it was my own mother saying it ;) and two, I am very smart. Opps, did I just compliment myself again? I must also be humble.
Mom: Here open this and add it to the pot.{hands me a can of condensed milk}
Me: Ok.{walk over to can opener, open can, pour in pot}
Mom: What are you doing?
Me: What you said to open it and pour it in the pot?
Mom: But why did you use the can opener? You are supposed to use this.{holds up 'church key'}
Mom: See you poke holes in it. Did you shake it first, at least?
Me: Did you saaaaaaaaaay to shake it?
Mom: Well, Thank God You're Pretty!
Me: What?
So, again, I am sharing some past rememberances. Maybe somewhere in all this will be the key to where I am supposed to be...
*For more on honesty, check out Peter's blog at http://honest-blog.blogspot.com/

1 Comments:
This is a great story--I've had conversations with my mother that sounded remarkably like that! Well, I think that you're smart AND pretty.
(It's me, St. Brigid from DCF) :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home